- 300 g of a sport weight yarn (approx. 142 yards or 130 m / 50 g ) e. g. 100farbspiele Unikate 6fädig, color "Bauerngarten"
- circular needles US 6 / 4,0 mm
- tapestry needle to weave in ends
- stitchmarker (optional)
Gauge of my shawl:
- 18 stitches = 4" in slipped-stitch-pattern.
- A gauge is not mandatory. The yardage will depend on your desired size for your shawl and the weight of the yarn you use.
Size of my shawl:
- length: 164 cm
- depth: 77 cm
- depth to the begin of the ruffle: 70 cm
- This shawl is knitted from the center back to the edge.
- Knit the selvedge stitches in all rows.
- On every right side row you increase 4 stitches: One stitch after and before the selvedge stitch and one stitch before and after the middle stitch.
- If you like, you can place a marker before the middle stitch.
- st = stitch(es)
- MM = stitch in the middle of the shawl
- pm = place marker
- k = knit the stitches
- p = purl the stitches
- M1L = make one left slanted
- M1R = make one right slanted
- wyif = work yarn held in front
- wyib = work yarn held in back
- kfb = knit once into front of stitch, leave stitch on the needle, knit once into back of stitch, now slip stitch off (make two stitches out of one)
- cast on 7 stitches using the cable cast-on
- 1st row: (k1, M1L) x 6, k1 = 13 sts
- 2nd row: k1, purl the stitches, k1
- 3rd row: k1, M1L, k2, slip 2 wyif, k1, M1L, pm (optional), k1 (=MM), M1R, k1, slip 2 wyif, k2, M1R, k1
- 4th row: k1, p3, slip 2 wyib, p2, p1 (=MM), pm, p2, slip 2 wyib, p3, k1
- 5th row: k1, M1L, k all to MM, M1L, k1 (=1 MM), M1R, k all to one last stitch, M1R, k1
- 6th row: k1, p all to MM, p1 (=MM), p all to one last stitch, k1
- 7th row: k1, M1L, k2, slip 2 wyif, k2, slip 2 wyif, k1, M1L, k1 (=MM), M1R, k1, slip 2 wyif, k2, slip 2 wyif, k2, M1R, k1
- 8th row: k1, p3, slip 2 wyib, p2, slip 2 wyib, p2, p1 (=MM), p2, slip 2 wyib, p2, slip 2 wyib, p3, k1
- 9th row: like row #5
- 10th row: like row #6
In the following rows you always knit two rows in slipped-stitch-pattern and two rows in stockinette stitches alternating:
- Begin all right side rows in slipped-stitch-pattern mentioned in row #7, regarding the increases. Incorporate the increases in the pattern.
- Begin all wrong side rows in slipped-stitch-pattern mentioned in row #8, regarding the increases.
- All stockinette rows mentioned in rows #5 and #6.
Knit this way until approx. 25% of the yarn is left.
Start the ruffle:
- 1st row: k1, ((k1, kfb) repeat to 2 last stitches), k2
- 2nd row: k1, purl all stitches to one last stitch, k1
- 3rd row: k all
Repeat rows #2 and #3 six more times.
Bind off all stitches loosely.
Weave in all loose ends.
Wash the shawl and dry flat. Block the shawl if you want, but please don't block too heavily.
Smooth the ruffle with your hands.
You can also find me on Ravelry as Wollbine11.
I appreciate your feedback!
This pattern may be used to make items for your own personal use, gifts or charitable donations.
You may not sell the items you made and you may not sell the pattern in any form.